Sunday 30 May 2010

Why sail a laser?

The reason I sail a laser is for days like today. An awesome breeze and good turnout followed by a good cup of tea and a large slice of humble pie. I've dominated most races this season and today I was taken to task. Step up Dad, awesome race. I just couldn't match him for smart sailing despite being quicker in a straight line. I stuck gamely to my plan and never wondered to far from the 'safe' area of the course and was duly beaten by someone who was more confident in what he was doing.

Commiserations must go to Ron who suffered gear failure that ended up sending him home. You're gonna need a cunnigham in 15 kts in a full rig let alone a big Rig!

As for my thoughts on the day, it was a very unstable breeze, perhaps even more so than Thursday. And bloody windy at times too. If you were able to make good use of the the big pressure then you were always going to have a good day. Overall, a good days sailing with some glam reaches and more than enough shifts to keep you guessing.

2 comments:

  1. I just hope I havn't used up all my luck for the season !

    ReplyDelete
  2. As regards the breeze - I thought there was sea breeze interference which gave us a lift on port at the start of the beat and so having tried the middle once and lost ground I went all the way to the starboard lay line on the last 2 beats to get away from the sea breeze and benefit from the offshore breeze

    ReplyDelete