Wednesday 16 June 2010

Long haul.

Sorry for my late postings lately. I'm just running a bit behind time. I thoroughly enjoyed my time on the water on Sunday. I picked up on the fact that people didn't particularly get on with starboard tack so here are my thoughts.

Going out on starboard took us right across the main rip of wind over tide and was providing some quite steep chop at times. Being quick was down to choosing the flatter spots in which to sail high and trying to anticipate the bigger chops. Once I saw that a bigger chop was upon me....

The Approach - I induced a little more leeward heel by steering a slightly lower course without dropping any sheet and leaning in a touch (if there's not enough breeze to induce heel). This gives the boat shape a bit more 'rocker' (curve) and reduces the slamming effect whilst also allowing the majority of water that comes over the bow to slip off the deck before filling you up. It also powers the rig up so be careful not to overcook it!

During - My steering becomes quite aggressive. A sharp stab of the tiller away from me as the bow approaches the chop prevents the bow being 'knocked down' on successive chops and therefore helps maintain height in your lane. Its a bit like trying to get the bow to 'punch' through the chop. I combine this with some body movement which involves rolling the shoulders aft at the same time as thrusting your hips forward (ie on starboard, hips right / shoulders left). This drives the boat forward and flicks the leech to give the boat some extra pace into the chop and also helps lever the bow up a bit. Complete this movement in a cycle (always returning to your standard hiking position) for every nasty chop until the 'set' passes.

After - Having gone through a bad 'set' of chops I would then sail higher again by squeezing the boat flat with extra hiking power before reducing my body movement and steering. Conserving energy in the flat bits is vital if you want to be quick in the choppier bits. Its also very hard work! The key to it all is anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment