Friday 25 June 2010

Spawn

Last nights race was certainly a bit of a challenge. Looking upwind before the start, I was completely torn. It looked as if there was more breeze on the left (presumably as it was outside the lee of the cliff) but the forecast had the breeze tracking right through 90 at some point in the next 2 hours. As it turned out the adverse tide made it difficult to make the left pay.

There were still shifts and holes to negotiate so simply plumping for the right hand corner didn't work either. In short, a very difficult breeze to read consistently well. Ron deservedly took the PH and LH bullets. Having a big rig helps but the breeze last night levelled the playing field and rewarded better directional decisions more than speed. I don't believe anyone got it nailed on last night. Perhaps Ron got 75% of the decisions right and the rest of us were between 60 and 70%. The last decision I made was to go right of Andy on the last beat. Based purely on the angle Ron was sailing further up the course. As the attacking boat I had to split from Andy to gain some leverage and then its all down to 'pot luck' and being a bit spawny as there were never any certainties last night. In the end the difference between Any and I was he got it right early and I got it right late. Its a cruel sport!

The only other thought I had about last night was my mindset. When I'm not doing as well as I want to be, I have to really focus on keeping myself 'together' in the boat. Its really easy to start making rash decisions and taking too many big risks. It also gets me fidgety in the boat which is not fast. Being quick in the light is about being smooth so stopping myself 'pumping and rolling' more than usual is also key. Trying to maintain a certain calmness allows me to think more about the breeze and the decisions.

To this end, I wonder what peoples thoughts are on what rule 42 allows. I generally sail right on the edge of whats permissable. Having only suffered 3 yellow flags in 14 years of laser sailing, I think I rarely step over the mark. Comments welcome unless they're libelous!

3 comments:

  1. I think Rule 42 is another example of a rule whose intention is good but the reality is almost the opposite of the intention.

    Very simplisticly you can pump/rock once per gust or wave to promote planning where planning conditions exist, use the rudder only to steer but not propel the boat and you can roll tack but must not come out of the tack (or gybe) faster than you went into it.

    In reality the subtle dynamic movement of the better helms such as James, Jamie and Ali means they are almost continously on the edge, or more likely over the edge, of Rule 42 but it goes unoticed and is difficlut to challenege and they gain significant benefit from it.

    By comparison the more clumsy and dramatic dynamic movements by the rest of the fleet means it is obvious and readily challenged. As a result Rule 42 discourages 2/3rds of the fleet from doing any dynamic movement at all wheras the front of the fleet regularly break Rule 42 conpletely unchallenged.

    Thus there is a gulf between the front of the fleet doing subtle illegal but difficult to challenge dynamic movement and the back of the fleet doing no dynamic movement (and then of course there is Mark Keast but there is always an exception the proves the rule!)

    Argueably a 'Rule 42' is needed for light winds in that the aim is to see who is fastest sailing around a course not who is fit enough to rock and pump around a course like a frantic pendaloe!

    In planning conditions, however, pumping and rocking only aids planning a legitimate aim of the helm of a planning dinghy. In such conditions pumping and rocking without stimulating planning is of no benefit.

    Personaly I would adopt the rule experimented with by the Finn Class where the Race Officer flies a flag when planning conditions exist and means Rule 42 is suspended for that race.

    Another radical thought from Ron to get the reactionaries going! Hitting marks, pumping and rocking, sailing in the afternoons in sea breezes - whatever next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a personal criticism James - especially after your generous comments about me in the last race! You and the other top helms quite rightly sail to what your interpretation of the rules is and what you experience as being the Judges interpretation of the rules. You have to squeeze the maximum benefit you can.

    My point was merely that Rule 42 rather than creating a level playing field actually, in my opinion, increases the gulf between the top helms and the rest plus is irrelevant in planning breezes.

    Always like to be a little controversial to generate discussion!

    ReplyDelete